Thursday, January 14, 2010

My friend Calie

Sister Calie Hill
Texas, San Antonio Mission

Marianne, Kathie (Calie's mom), Calie, myself, and Nikki
Former Young Women Leaders farewell lunch at Bajios for Calie

  • One of my former Mia Maids left for her mission in mid-December. She was called to serve in the Texas, San Antonio Mission. Calie is awesome! She has always talked about serving a mission and finally that time came. Calie is also a character! Ya, never know what is up her sleeve.
  • During our first youth conference together (she was fourteen) she created a lasting memory for the two of us. No, it wasn't a spiritual experience. I was alone at the time in my small tent getting ready for bed. She unzipped the tent door and opened it to say good-night and little did I know that wasn't really her main intent. She snuck in a live frog without me knowing. Before too long I discover my new tent buddy, the frog. I'm past the days of finding joy in handling little creatures like this, so I wasn't too thrilled. This was only the beginning of many vivid memories of Calie. Despite the frog incident, I still loved her. We spent many girl's camps and youth conferences together and I was always on the lookout for one of her many pranks.
  • Several years later Calie ended up working for Russell on his BYU grounds crew and she became his lead student. Russell and Calie created a special relationship too. Oh and yes, she pulled many pranks there too. Her companions better watch their backs!
  • When she spoke in our Ward before she left, she gave a powerful talk and bore a firm testimony. She is so ready to go spread the gospel with the Texans. I love you Calie.
  • P.S. She was able to be in the MTC with her younger brother, Dallin, who got called to serve in the Philippines. They spent Christmas together in the MTC!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Sorry that deleted post was me...I was still signed into your account from changing your header...sorry!)

    That first picture is SUCH a San Antonio neighborhood. Seriously, that could be my parents' front yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing missionary she's going to be! But you are right, her companions need to be on their toes, you never know what that girl has up her sleeve! Girls Camp with her was such an adventure :-)

    ReplyDelete