Thursday, April 29, 2010

Christmas Memories

Every year when I bring out the Christmas decorations, my mind gets flooded with memories.  Memories of people, places, events, homes, etc.  Here is a sample of some of our decorations and the memories that they bring to me.

I made several of these Christmas geese ornaments in the late 1980's when we lived in Arizona.  I still love them.
I made this in "Homemaking" years ago in my ward, the River Ridge 3rd Ward or maybe we were still the River Ridge 1st Ward at the time.  My talented neighbor and friend, Amy McClellan, created this.  She is amazingly talent in many crafty areas.
I made this Christmas stocking when Sky, our first grandchild, was born.  It hangs with honor with the rest of our family members stockings.
 
I made this when we lived in the Tempe 11th Ward in Arizona.  It brings memories of a great Ward with many friends.
Another Tempe 11th Ward Christmas decoration is this darling sled made out of Popsicle sticks by Tyler's Primary teacher, Sister Figueroa.
Russell and I got married in late December and for one of our wedding gifts someone gave us these Twelve Days of Christmas glasses.  A few have broken over the years, but we still pull them out every year.  They bring me joy.
My next door neighbor and best friend at the time, Lori Carrell, made me this darling angel.  She was so talented.  This is the only angel that I have in my home.  If you know me, you know how weird I am and this is one of those weird things about me.  When I was young my dad taught us that angels didn't really have wings and so we never had anything in our home with angels, because they usually would have wings.  Well this has stuck with me and in respect and honor of my father, I too don't display angels...other then this one.
When Tyler passed away, Kathi's parents gave us this beautiful poinsettia arrangement.  I smile every time I get the out.  It reminds me of Tyler and Kathi's very thoughtful parents, Charles and Carol.
For years my dad would give our family a fun and usually noisy Christmas decoration.  This Cowboy Santa dances while it sings.  It reminds all of us of our Cowboy Grandpa Merrill.
In about 1992, I got together with Russell's sister, Karen, and sister-in-law, Becky and we made these darling tall wood Santa's.  Russell's brother-in-law, Lance cut them out for us.  We spent the day at Becky's home painting them.  They each turned out different but they were all so cute.  Every year when I pull this out it amazes me that I made it.  It really is awesome.  Look close and you can see the unique paint work... it's impressive.  We used a special tool and it looks like the grain of wood.
My sister Barbara made this little bear for me in the early 1990's.  Every year I set it under our Christmas tree.  It now sits on a small wooden sled that Courtney gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment